21.8.11

The Other Night

The other night I was booked on the 4pm flight home from New York. Sounds pretty standard. I got to the airport JUST before 3pm because traffic was awful and I was worried I'd miss check-in. I didn't. At the check-in I was informed that we would be delayed until 5:30pm because of weather. I looked out the window, it was still a beautiful day, so naturally, I was outraged.

By the time I got through security and to the gate we had been delayed until 7:30pm. Further outrage. I took to social media for some sympathy, and wasn't let down. Then, the uncertainty began...

Here is a series of words to illustrate the events that followed: announcement, anger, panic, cancelled, tornado, rain, frustration, eight-dollar-internet, lifesavers gummis, panic, and so on...

I got on the plane at 11:15pm, and by the time I got to my door it was 2am.

Here is a photo I took when our plane was rerouted back to another airport and then we didn't have a gate to land in so we landed in the middle of the runway and had to get on a bus to take us to customs...