28.9.10

On Intimidation

Today I had the privilege of shooting Mr. Nigel Barker, which prompted a lot of thinking to happen in my brain.

When I heard I was going to have the opportunity to photograph Mr. Barker, my first instinct was to feel excited. What a treat! I love America's Next Top Model! When the reality started to sink in I realized what I was about to do. I was going to be pointing my lens at, not only a very well known photographer, but also a former model who has been shot countless times by photographers more known than I.

I've been photographed by photographers before. Photographers who are incredibly talented and who know their shit. But when I am in front of somebody else's lens, I don't think of myself as a photographer. I turn into a subject and give myself over to that. Today I wondered if Nigel felt the same way. I suspect not.

I've been intimidated by subjects before, but today was different. Maybe it was because my subject was six foot four and I didn't expect that. Maybe it was because I knew I had to get the shot in under five minutes (I got it in three). Maybe it was because I was hungry, or because it was pouring rain. Today was different.

AND THEN HE TRIED TO KILL ME!

Stay tuned for the REAL photo in Hello! I'll post it then!